Thursday, September 20, 2007

Go Gamecocks!

Last night, as I walked through the doors of Pete Mathews Coliseum on "Pack the Pete" night, I looked around and could not believe how few students had turned out to watch the Gamecocks play our in-state rival, Samford, in volleyball. Walking in, I thought we might have gotten there early but as I saw the game in motion I realized we were actually late.

Do people just not care about the smaller sports? In terms of athletic teams statistics, the volleyball team is one of our best, but there is not really any support from the students.

Let's compare. Last year, the volleyball team was 24-5 overall and 16-0 in conference games.
The football team (and nothing against the football team, by the way. I love them too!) was 6-5 overall and 4-3 in conference and everyone gets full of that gamecock spirit? I guess I just don't understand.

At most universities students have to pay to attend sporting events and yes, as full as I am of school spirit, I do still realize that many of the schools are bigger and play bigger teams, but at JSU we have opportunities that few appreciate and it bothers me.

The vigorous daily routine that athletes go through just to play sports in college is amazing and tiring at the same time. All they ask in return (besides a scholarship lol) is that people come out and support them.

So, I would like to personally invite everyone to come out and cheer on all the athletic teams, not just the more popular ones. Trust me, if it were you out on the court/field you would appreciate it!

Go Gamecocks!

2 comments:

Bethany Harbison said...

Great blog, Toni!

Unknown said...

I am with you all the way Toni!! I am a Gamecock loyal and you know it! So, see ya everywhere!!

GO GAMECOCKS!